Wednesday, February 20, 2008

They call this an Amusement Park?

It was dark.

It was damp.

It was chilly.

It was supposed to be fun.

It was part of our vacation, after all.

It was Six Flags over St. Louis.
And I was in a cave.

It was Injun Joe's cave.

It was, in a word...creepy.

I was sitting in a 'canoe' between my Dad's knees. There were four of us in the ride, if I remember correctly, and I was in the middle of the boat....when the ride began...taking us back in time to Injun Joe and Tom Sawyer and Mark Twain. I had my hands resting on Dad's knees. It was kinda comforting...knowing he was right there in case I got REALLY scared.

Now, my Dad has a pretty good sense of humor. Usually. But...on this particular day, for some reason...he had really poor timing.

Just as we were passing under this icky wet seaweed-y feeling stuff, and I was all shivery...he let loose with his Patented, Always Leaves 'Em Screamin', Villian Laugh.

BWOOOOHOOOOHOOO HAAAHAAAHAAA!

It was a deep, loud, belting laugh.

I. Freaked. Out.

Screamed and reacted to my terror by pinching his leg so hard that he had a bruise for a week afterwards.

Oh, he THOUGHT it was hysterical!

Ha. Ha. Very funny.

Well, I was not amused.

And I didn't trust him for a little while after that episode. I had wanted him to be there for me...to keep me safe...and he let me down.

Cuz he's human. It happens.

Good thing I've got another Father to go to when I'm scared. When I'm a little freaked out by things. And my friends...he does NOT have a Villian Laugh. Not even close.

He is warm and strong and loving. He is kind and smart and brave. He is always there when I need Him and He never laughs at my fear.

In fact, He gently reminds me that I don't have to be afraid...

Now don't get me wrong...my Dad is a good guy. But he can make a mistake.

My Father, on the other hand....makes no mistakes.

No comments: