Saturday, February 16, 2008

Not so awkward silence?

I can't think of anything to say.

Honestly.

I've been sitting here for the past 10+ minutes...staring at this screen...and I can't think of anything to say.

Wow.

Awkward.

(I know! Some of you find that quite hard to believe!)
My daughter does not like silence. "Awkward silence!" she'll pipe up and say when the conversation lolls.

I used to feel the same way. Needed to fill in that 'space'. So I'd jump right in...words flowing out...

Over the years I've found though, that when I am silent, several things can happen. Foremost among them is education. I learn something. I can grow closer to someone by tuning in to them, and, perhaps...by being silent...I won't say something I shouldn't!
It's not easy for us talkers to not speak. It requires discipline. Really! For us talkers, listening is something we need to work at doing. Practice. And I could use some more practice, I'm sure...

So today, I'm listening more, talking less. And that's my encouragment to you.

Let me know what you learn, will ya? I'm listening....

No comments: