Tuesday, February 12, 2008

More than just a neat name for a basketball team in Florida...

Those of you who know me well know that I don't like to sweat.

I don't like being hot.

I don't like hot places.

(I do however, like spicy food! Go figure...!)

And....I enjoy the cold. I think that winter temperatures should be the 'norm'. Give me a 40 degree day and I'll show you a gal with rosy cheeks, a smile on her face and a song in her heart. That's when I'm content...that's when I'm satisfied...that's when I'm comfortable.

I don't like being uncomfortable.

(Well, DUH, C....who does?)

Early in our relationship, my husband and I lived in this little, itty bitty house with no air conditioning. We took our mattress off of our bed and put it in the living room and slept there, because we could keep the front door open and get more of a breeze. It was less uncomfortable.

But...I was still miserable. And one morning, after several days of this oppressive heat, Steve and I got our clothes together to go to the laundry mat. And on our way out to the car, Steve asked a simple question and I snapped. And then he snapped back...and suddenly we found ourselves arguing about stuff that had nothing to do with Tide Detergent.

It was ugly.

It was awful.

I think at one point the police were called.

Ugh.

Bad.

So bad that I remember Steve saying, "That's IT! We're getting an air conditioner! So you're not hot and you'll leave me alone!"


Oh...that the heat would go away....that's all that I wanted. To be comfortable. But we couldn't afford an air conditioner then...so I had to 'deal with it'. And I didn't do so hot....(snort! pun intended!)


Flash forward about 15 years. We're on vacation with friends. We are camping. In a camper with no air conditioning. In July. It's like, the HOTTEST week of the year. However, when I look back at that time, I have happier memories. Why? Because I didn't focus on the heat. We were too busy having fun!

Understand though, that the heat didn't go away. In fact, it was probably HOTTER than before. But I cared less.

Here's my thought: There is going to be heat, my friends. We live in Illinois, for crying out loud. It ain't going away!

And...there is going to be 'heat' in our lives. We aren't always able to stay at a comfortable temperature. (Man, I hate typing that!!)

Maybe you can get an air conditioner. Maybe that will help you.

But if you can't...what I encourage you to do then...is not take out your 'heat suffering' on those close to you. Making them miserable will not help you feel better. Not in the long run.

Instead...if you take the time to focus on those close to you, you might find that the heat is not that miserable...and you might have some fun!!

(I just realized, that run...and fun...rhyme. Okay, well, I didn't just realize that...I've known that those two particular words rhyme for a long time. Hm...rhyme and time also rhyme...and I'm...HEY! "I'm" rhymes with time too! Who knew?)

Um...yeah...I'm gonna stop now. Is it....is it hot in here...or is it just me??

No comments: