Monday, February 18, 2008

My Chains are Gone

The other night, me and my best half, Steve...were watching a show on PBS that traced the lineage of current famous African Americans, showing them where they came from.

It was very interesting and intriguing. People, for the most part, seem to want to know where they came from. Who their ancestors are. There are some who can even tell you fascinating facts about the folks in their family.

I've always been interested in my family tree. My particular roots are Scotch/Irish, Dutch/German and English. European immigrants mostly...I don't know that I have any famous 'branches' on my tree...but I do have some idea of where I came from.

On this tv show we were watching, some of the people came from slaves here in America. They traced them through DNA tests and such, and the interviewer asked them how they felt about their ancestors. It was eye-opening to me how deeply these people were touched by their slave heritage.

Makes me think. Particularly about the skeletons in my family closet. About the 'slavery' I have been 'born into' in my family. Oh, it's not being 'owned by someone' so much as a history of addiction, abuse, bad habits...dysfunction and all. I know I'm not alone. And I'm sure that there are some of you who have suffered more than I have. You may feel chained down to your 'history'. That things can't ever...won't ever...change. The cycle will just keep going.
Yesterday, in church, we sang a song by Chris Tomlin called "Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone). I was sitting there, thinking about slavery and freedom. About where I've come from...and where I'm at right now...and where I'm going. I've chosen freedom over slavery. I've chosen to break those family chains of bondage...

My friends, this journey is not easy. But, I have good news. Emancipation can be yours! You are NOT your past! You can stop being a slave! But you can't do it alone. You need to ask Him to help you.

Trust me, He will.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Great!! as always!
oh and love your new photo.... cute cute cute!!!