Friday, February 8, 2008

Check out these biceps!

I'd like to talk about a little thing called Gratitude today.

Oh....stop your groaning.

I know...it's not a very little thing, is it?

I mean, I'm good at saying 'thank you' on a regular basis....but that's usually because someone did something for me specifically...like say, opening a door.

I'm not so good at thinking about those things that I 'take for granted'...and saying 'thank you' for them.

So let's exercise our gratitude muscle! Are you with me!?

I said, "ARE YOU WITH ME?"

It won't hurt much. I promise.

First, think of Three Easy Things to be Grateful for:

1) My family
2) My health
3) My home

See? Simple....

Now let's think of Three Difficult Things to be Grateful for:

1) My family
2) My health
3) My home

Okay....now let's....

What? What did you say?

The lists are the same? Are you sure?

Sometimes it happens so quick...my moving one thing (like family) from the easy pile to the difficult pile. But like your Mom used to say, "There are starving children somewhere who don't even have family....so be grateful for what you got!"

Maybe you're saying to yourself, 'C., my family's great! It's my house that I can't stand! It's too small and the furniture's outdated, and it needs repainted and my mattress is old and I want a tv that hangs on the wall so bad I can taste it!'

My response? "There are starving children somewhere who don't even have a mattress...so be grateful for what you got! Carrie!"

Maybe you don't even think about your health. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!' might be your motto. But I say this: "There are starving children somewhere who don't even have a motto...so put that donut down and be grateful that you are breathing this morning!"

Or something to that effect.

Be grateful. Take a moment today to thank Him for the things you got.

2 comments:

heiniger said...

Nice... I like how you can throw most anything on both lists including things like trials that you would normally put on the 'not thankful' for list, but can be on the thankful list from a different perspective.

zeekil said...

You are so right. Attitude is (almost) everything. It's hard to be thankful so much of the time when I am too busy looking at things thru the lens of self-pity of envy. It's hard to change in a vacuum as well. Thanks for the encouragement! Hebrews 10:24,25