Friday, February 15, 2008

Nothing smaller than an elbow!

Tee Shirt I saw at a Mall one time said:

"Shut up Voices...or I'll poke you with a Q-tip again!"

True story. Once upon a time, when I was about nine years old, my parents went out for the evening and left us with a babysitter. For some reason, while getting ready for bed...I got the 'smart idea' to clean out my ears with a Q-tip.






[warning: those of you with squeamish stomachs should probably not read this next part!]

I'm not sure why...(other than the fact that I was nine...and sleepy!)but I put the Q-tip in my left ear....and didn't take it out. I must've been distracted by something, I'm sure...but for whatever reason...when I laid my head down (on the left side), I suddenly had this shooting pain in my head.

I sat up, reached up to my ear, pulled out the Q-tip. And grossed out the babysitter with it. I think they made it into a movie...I'm not sure. (No...not the one called "Carrie"....!)

My parents came home early. I had punctured my eardrum. I now have hearing loss in that ear.

And the babysitter NEVER CAME TO OUR HOUSE AGAIN!!

(okay, that part's not true. It just sounded like the way the story should end!)

Sometimes, now....I'll have problems getting to sleep. I can't stop thinking about stuff. And because my husband cares about me...and because he wants to go to sleep himself and stop my talking...he will suggest that I go to my 'cabin in the woods'. It's my "Happy Place".

When I'm noisy inside...when I can't seem to stop the patter of the voices in my head...I go there. To the cabin. It's quiet...and peaceful...and there are no demanding schedules, no whining children...no annoying clerks...no bad drivers...just me and my cabin...and Jesus...in His blue jeans.


Ahhhh....reminds me of Psalm 131. "...Surely I have composed and quieted my soul...Israel, hope on the Lord now and forever."


A better reminder for you when you're noisy inside...when the voices are loud...hope on the Lord.
'Cuz I can tell you from experience...you don't want to hope on a Q-tip....yikes.

No comments: