Monday, February 11, 2008

Say what?

Jeff Foxworthy once said something along the lines of "The real stuff is the funniest stuff".

Yesterday, after church, my family went through a fast food drive thru for lunch. My son, who was sitting up front with me, couldn't wait to eat his sandwich, so as we drove home...he started to eat his burger.
At one point, I looked over at him and he was just chewing like nobody's business.

Chewing...

Chewing...

Finally, I see him reach into his mouth and pull out a piece of wax paper. It was part of the wrapper from his sandwich.

Out of the blue he looks at the paper wad and says, "Huh....I guess I bit off more than I could chew!"

I almost drove off the road laughing.

Seriously, folks. You can't make that stuff up!

Sobering thought, though. Biting off more than we can chew. I have a big problem with it. And I'm not talking about a bacon cheddar melt, either.

It's not easy for me to tell people "no". Especially when there are SO MANY things I enjoy doing...or I'm good at....or I enjoy being good at. Or I'm the only one around...

Of course, the problem with saying "yes" to everyone else means that you must, eventually, say "no" to something. And it may not be something you should say "no" to.

In our "Do...do...do"...."get, get, get" world...it's almost too easy to get sucked into the mentality that you have to fill your day with all sorts of 'projects' in order to succeed.

I invite you to practice today. Say "no" to something. Help your kids to say "no" to something.

Try to keep it simple. Slow down. Take smaller bites.

And please pass me the ketchup. Thanks!

1 comment:

heiniger said...

Well said...

Surely, you're not serious!

I am, and stop calling me Shirley.