Monday, March 3, 2008

You Gotta Go There!

Yesterday I spoke with someone who'd just been to Hawaii on vacation.

Reading that sentence, I realize that it's a little redundant.
I mean, DUH! Hawaii....vacation. Hello, C.! Why else would someone be in Hawaii?

I suppose there are those lucky folks who go there on business....but what it got me to thinking about was this:

Do the folks who live in Hawaii think it's as beautiful as those who visit? Or do they just take it for granted?

I haven't been to Hawaii. I'd like to go sometime. It's one of the 'warmer' areas actually on my 'potential vacation list'. Everyone who's been there has good things to say about it. And they always say, "YOU GOTTA GO THERE!"

Could you really get tired of beautiful sunsets, and breezy beaches....and colorful scenery? I mean, is there a point where you don't even see those things anymore...that they don't impact you like they did that very. first. time. you. saw. them.

When I was 17 years old, we went to Colorado on vacation. And the mountains were incredible! I remember thinking, "I will never get tired of looking at the mountains!" Each morning that we were there, I'd get up...and when I looked out a window...there they were! Just as incredible! Every morning...never got tired of 'em...
I'm not so sure that I've ever said that about cornstalks. I mean, let's face it, Illinois has got a LOT of cornstalks...

so...that leads me to ask the question:

Are there Hawaiians on vacation in Illinois....who feel like they would never get tired of looking at corn?

SNORT!!

(giggling hysterically here!)

heeheehee....maybe....heeheehee....ah...that's funny to think about.
Here's another thing:

There's a saying, "Grow where you are planted."

Now, this may sound corny....(HA HA...bad pun intended!)....but think about this: So many of us want to go somewhere else and impact people...whether it's starving children in Africa...or the homeless in New York...that we neglect the idea that there are people ALL AROUND US that could use our help. Our assistance. People that are less than a mile away from us...are folks who urgently need us.

Look around your little world today. Consider how you can grow where you are.

And don't take the beauty around you for granted either. Make an effort to appreciate it! Isn't it just a-maize-ing? (I know...that's a reach...even for me! Sorry!)

Now...who wants to Hula with me??? Anyone?

No comments: