Sunday, March 2, 2008

Carry me, Daddy!

When I was little, I remember faking sleep in the car so that my Dad would carry me into the house. Did you ever do that? Eyes scrunched tight....sometimes even a little smile on my face...like I was fooling someone. Well....sometimes it worked, right?

I also remember that, as I aged, that trick did not work as often. Until, finally, it didn't work at all. It didn't matter how tired I was, I had to get out and walk into the house by myself. Why? Because I was 'too big to carry'...I was growing up.

Sometimes I really miss being carried, you know? That feeling of weightlessness...of bouncing along with my head on Dad's shoulder, smelling his aftershave. It was comforting...safe...there was security there. Nothing to worry or think too hard about...just being taken care of...tucked into bed...to dream...

Being a 'big girl' though....walking tiredly into the house...your feet feeling like they've got concrete blocks attached to them...is not as pleasant a recollection. Makes me exhausted just recalling it.

In fact, I think that's how I felt this afternoon. Tired...heavy...just wishing my Dad would carry me into the house...just this once. Feeling like Atlas, with the weight of the world upon my shoulders. Feeling alone.

We grow up so fast, don't we?! We become the parents who carry in the kids, perhaps...we have responsibilities...duties...it's all part of the package....

How do you recharge your battery? How do you rejuvenate yourself when all you want to do is fake sleep so your Dad will carry you? How do you handle it?

I remember holding my Dad's hand sometimes as we went into the house. Being pulled along by him. Oh, it wasn't the same as being carried...but it was better than walking alone.

You are not alone, My Friend...there is Someone who will hold your hand when you're weary...and if you really are exhausted from the journey...He'll even carry you.

You know what? Remembering that makes me feel better!

And you know what else? I think I smell aftershave...do you??

No comments: