Friday, March 28, 2008

I like me...

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions." -- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Del: "You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get."


I had a rough day yesterday. Sigh.

It happens to all of us, I know.

Still, I was really disappointed in how I handled some things that came up.

And what did I do about it, you ask?

I began to beat myself up about it.

Let's talk about this for a moment, okay?

My friends, I have a guilty pleasure.

(And because you are my friends...I will tell you about this. But you have to promise not to laugh...or judge me...okay?)

I am a fan of professional wrestling.

I have been since the 7th grade. When I saw Rowdy Roddy Piper...a 'real man in a kilt'...ahhh.

I have tried to get over it...I understand that it's fake and all...I know it's nothing like 'real' wrestling.

And I still don't care. I enjoy watching it. And admit it...it's got some 'good theatre' stuff goin' on!!
Okay...so you don't have to admit anything...and it really doesn't matter if you want to argue with me about it...because...like Del Griffith...I'm not changing.

But yesterday...

yesterday I found myself wrestling with something...

wrestling with some miscellaneous gal's opinion of me.

("Let's get ready to RUMMMMMMBBBBLLLE!" In this corner of the ring....CARRIE!")

And I found myself caring way too much about it.

(OOMPH! "Oh, you know what, Gorilla? That's gonna leave a mark! Carrie is really feelin' some pain now! What do you think she'll do next?")

Oh, I tried to laugh it off at first.

("She's going for the laugh, Bobby. A move that just might work!")

But it didn't stick.

(POW! "Oh...too bad! She couldn't hold onto that laugh, Gorilla. She's not looking happy!")

I changed to doubt. Maybe this person was right about me...

(BAM! "What is going on with Carrie? She hasn't seen a low like this for a while! She's DOUBTING HERSELF? Ohhh...I don't like the looks of this match, Bobby.")

I longed for a tag team match. I wanted someone in my corner...you know, to verify me.

("She's looking around, Gorilla...for a partner....but this is not a tag team match! It's ONE on ONE! What is she thinking?")

I considered hitting below the belt. An eye for an eye. Insult me, will you?? Why...I'll just get in there and show you, Miss Cellaneous Gal! I'm the Champion of the Verbal Attack, remember?!

("If I know Carrie, Bobby...she's considering using one of her old standby moves...the Verbal Attack. It could be useful to her right now!" "I agree, Gorilla. Not many can handle that kind of action. But she hasn't sunk to that kind of low in a long time!" "Let's see what she does!")

I went to bed and slept on it.

("Gorilla! It's a sleeper hold...not a Verbal Attack!" "Bobby...it's a good move. But will it help her?")

It helped some. But the match wasn't quite over...

("We're still here, folks! And this battle isn't over yet! Both opponents have a good chance at winning! Let's get back to the action! Carrie is still letting Miss Cellaneous Gal's remark get to her! She's running it over and over in her head! Oh! The humanity! I can't watch this, Gorilla!!")

It wasn't looking good. But then...

("Bobby! Look! She's down! Wait! Who's that?")

I remembered Whose opinion counts. That there is Someone WAY STRONGER than Miss Cellaneous Gal. Someone on my side....my Manager!

("This is incredible, folks! Just incredible! Carrie's manager has just entered the ring and is speaking to Carrie. And look, Bobby! She's getting up!")

I spoke to my Manager...who told me that I didn't need to win this match. Because it had already been decided...and I was not....a loser.

("SHE'S LEAVING THE RING, GORILLA! She's limping...holding onto the hand of her Manager and leaving the ring! Unbelievable!" "Not if you know anything about Carrie's Manager, Bobby!")

My friends...I tell you encouraging things because sometimes it's hard for us to tell them to ourselves, isn't it? Sometimes we start to believe the lies about ourselves...maybe because we've heard them over and over again. Maybe because we're listening to the wrong people. People who don't even know us...and make assumptions based on very little info.

My words aren't meant to sound clever or cute...or cliche'...or to make you feel all warm and cuddly inside...even tho it may appear that way. I'm still just a person with an opinion...just like you. And you can choose to believe me or not...but listen to me for a second, okay...?

You see, I've been listening to my Manager...and He's so...so...so...good at Truth. And He wants to be your Manager too! And any words of encouragement I've learned...I learned from Him.

I like me. My Manager likes me...and really...in the end...that's all that matters...

No comments: