Thursday, March 27, 2008

Who wants to be amazing?

Yesterday I got online and checked to see when we could expect our tax refund money to arrive at our bank.

It's kinda important.

You see, we need to put a roof on our house and we could also use a new mattress. Okay...we want a new mattress. I also want a new dining room table and chairs...but I don't think that's gonna happen.

At least not with the refund money.

We'll have to think of something else in regards to the table and chairs. And since you asked...

(you DID ask, right?)

There isn't anything technically wrong with the table and chairs we have in there right now. They just don't match the rest of the look of the room. They're fully functional. But they're the wrong color. And if we got a new one...our room would be amazing!

At least...that's what I tell myself. You know...to try and justify my want.

Cuz that's what it is, friends!

It's a want. Not a need.

Sigh...took me a while to work that out...

However, we NEED a new roof. We have put it off for far too long, and before we start seeing some really serious damage...we have to replace it.

And for the record....I don't care what bloomin' color the roof is....we just need a new one!

Got me to thinking about wants and needs...

sigh...

I hate thinking about things like that sometimes. You know...sometimes...just for a little while....I like to think about all the stuff I could buy if I had cash at my disposal. If money were no object...

Then I turn on the tv and there's Oprah.

Now...please understand, my friends...that I am NOT a regular Oprah viewer. In fact, I don't care much for her show. But this particular program was about hoarding and clutter. So I found the subject matter interesting.

If you may recall, I've been in a process of de-cluttering my house. Getting rid of stuff that I don't want or need anymore.

It's been quite freeing. And it's easier to clean the house when there's less stuff.

When I saw all the things that the people on the show had piled in their house...it was eye opening.

Wow...too.much.stuff.

And you know why? There were issues of want.....versus....need.

(she gingerly steps onto her soapbox)

Friends, Romans, Countrymen...lend me your ears...

Stuff doesn't make you feel better. Stuff doesn't solve your problems. Stuff doesn't give you control.

Stuff hurts. Stuff causes more problems. And in the end, your stuff will control you.

(she gets off the soapbox and puts it away)

We justify our purchases. We say, "I need this thing because...."

and sometimes...like putting off getting a new roof for five years....it's truth. We DO need that thing. I think that we'd all agree that a home isn't very good without a roof.

but if we say, "I need a new table and chairs...because even those these work just fine...they don't match the rest of my stuff."...

we're using the wrong word. We WANT a new table and chairs. We already have a table and chairs...but they're not enough.

Hm....

Not enough.

I think about those words want and need in other areas of my life as well.

I want people to understand me. I need help with things. I want to be happy.

(I need to get a check up...and oh...by the way....I don't want to get a check up.)

Maybe I need people to understand me. I want help with things. I need to be happy.

It's interesting how using the other word makes the sentence sound different...isn't it?

There's a fine line between self-centeredness (I want that!)...and survival (I need this.).

And you know what?

You know what?

I can't determine which side you're on. Not all the time. Only you can determine what's truth about the dining room table and chairs in your home. Maybe...you do NEED them.

But I do know this. LISTEN TO ME. You are not your stuff.

Stuff is not what makes you a good person or a bad person. Stuff is...is just...stuff. You came into this world without any stuff...and they say that you can't take it with you when you go...so...what you have in the way of things isn't what makes you special.

Or smart. Or caring. Or funny. Or amazing.

You know what?

You know what? You are amazing. Look in the mirror and tell yourself today that you don't need stuff to be amazing.

My friends, I want you to have a good day. And I need another cup of coffee...

No...seriously. I need it.

Okay...okay....I want another cup of coffee. Sigh...

(I gotta be more careful about what I write about....sheesh...)

2 comments:

heiniger said...

Nice... of course I'm drinking coffee and eating a muffin and reading my favorite blog, so I've got what I need and want... for the moment. Thanks for the reminder. Reminds of first things and second things from last night's lesson.

Tara said...

oh boy...isn't this awesome?? i too NEED my coffee...ok, i'm listening to you... i WANT my coffee...badly! Sure love reading your blog..and this one sure hits me today...awesome!!