Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Lifetime Reading list revisited

Whoa...I found my lifetime reading plan.

From college.

Actually, the date on it is May 5, 1988. Almost 20 years to the day...wow.

Dr. Guillory, (only the most awesome English professor ever!) had us put one together. There are seven categories:

World Classics
English Lit Classics
American Lit Classics
Current Best-Sellers
Science, Tech and Business
Bios and Autobios
Personal Category (dealer's choice)

40 books total.

I got an A- on the list.

What's that?

How many?

How many wha?

OH! How many books have I actually read from my list these twenty years?

Um...just a sec.

Three.

Er...really two and a half...if I'm honest...

Sigh. That's pathetic.

There are some incredible books listed! I've read books over these twenty years...so why haven't I read the ones on my list?

Well, I'll be honest. Part of my list was purely for the grade. I mean, Dr. Guillory had specific favorites of his own...which he shared in class...so I may have *cough cough* appealed to his book love interests strictly for a good grade.

I am not proud of that.

However, tell you what. I plan on reading at least half of these books this summer. I'm going to make it my goal. 20 books in 20 weeks. I think it's possible!

Do you have goals? Are you maybe beating yourself up about a goal you set but haven't achieved for some reason? I suggest you jump in where you're at and start again! Don't let 20 years go by...but if they have...there's still time!! :)

Now...which one should I read first? Walden or The Old Man and the Sea? Hm...maybe Silent Spring or The Screwtape Letters...there's also the bio on Alfred Hitchcock...that looks interesting...

Amazon.com HERE I COME!!!!

2 comments:

Paxtonite said...

Fill me in on your book list - especially the ones you finish. I might want to borrow a book or two from you. I'm currently reading "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer. Can't seem to get into Benazir Bhutto's "Reconciliation" Need to get to the few Stephen King novels I haven't read yet.

You go girl . . . 20 books!

heiniger said...

Ditto... there may be some on my list that it would be encouraging to read with you.