Thursday, April 24, 2008

From dusty files come dewy roses...

Okay...so I have been busier as the weather gets warmer...and I think my writing is suffering. I'm not feeling particularly creative...and for some reason really feel a 'performance pressure' right now. Not sure what's going on there exactly...but I'm positive it'll work itself out...in the meantime, as I've mentioned (time and again it seems!), I've been clearing out stuff from my house. Getting rid of things. Paper is my biggest problem.

Today however, I found something I'd written maybe three years ago(??)...and it had an impact on me this morning...so...I'm going to go ahead and copy it here for you to read. Enjoy it...

My Walk With Jesus....

"My walk with Jesus begins with my strolling down the road by the bike path over past Lake of the Woods towards the trailer park. I walked that road a lot when we lived there; either with the kiddos or by myself. It's a good place to be quiet...pretty remote. Most of the people stay on the bike path...I like this road. It is older, and leads to a little patch of woods.

I picked this place (three different places flew through my mind before I landed on this one) because one day I was walking there and I started singing "In the Garden". I used to sing a lot when I was younger while walking home from school. I'd sing all kinds of songs, not just hymns...but on this day in particular I was singing that song. I guess because there were billions of birds singing, and the sun was shining, and it was pleasantly cool. I was by myself at the time and the song just came out naturally. It's one of my favorite hymns.

My Jesus wears blue jeans. Faded, comfortable, broken-in blue jeans. He wears tennis shoes. And his hair is on the longish side. (I've tried to imagine Him with short hair; but too many years of Bible pictures and His "hippie" look have tainted me...and short hair on Him just doesn't 'feel right'.)

Today He's wearing a blue denim shirt. He's taller than me; though I wouldn't call Him a tall guy. He's got the popular goatee thing going on too. Really, you wouldn't look twice at Him if you saw Him in a crowd. I mean, He's not incredibly gorgeous. A little on the lanky side, actually. And His face isn't anything great...but He's got some wonderful eyes. Big, brown and warm. Smiling eyes, sad eyes, angry....even hurt eyes. He doesn't have to say anything verbally, really...because it's all there on His face.

At first I see Him from a distance of maybe, um...100 ft. or so. I know it's Him. In fact, I sense Him before I actually see Him. His hands are in his pockets. His stance is relaxed...yet expectant...like He's been waiting for me to get there, and is anxious to see me...but He doesn't have anything pressing to get to...so He's in no hurry.

I smile hesitantly. He grins. And then I grin. (When He smiles at me, He always makes me smile....even when I don't want to; when I don't feel like smiling...it's annoying sometimes!)

We walk. He falls in step with me. I tell Him why I like this place. Why I didn't picture us on a beach because I hate being hot. He laughs at that and picks up a stick. It's a stick that has bark remnants on it and He begins peeling off the bark as we talk and walk. His hands are always doing something...

I say something cliche' like, "It's nice to be here walking with You..." and He looks at me sideways for a second. He doesn't say anything, but gives the stick a toss. It doesn't go very far...

He puts His arm around me then and we keep walking in silence together. It's relaxing not having to say something. To just be with Him...moving along together...with a familiar rhythm."

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear
falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses...

And He walks with me,

and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share
as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody
that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.

I’d stay in the garden with Him

Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go;
through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling...

My friends, I encourage you to take a walk with Him today. It'll be worth it...I promise.

2 comments:

Tara said...

hmmm... one of my favorite songs actually i remember singing those words from an old hymn at my old church....
i think it's the eeather...i'm so NOT creative right now... just a grump as a matter of fact!!!
sigh..............

heiniger said...

nice... I imagine this is still applicable this week : )