Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I'll Fly Away

Birds are noisy.

Well...the birds are noisy at my house. The windows aren't even open and I can hear those grackles (or blackbirds...or whatever they are!) just singing (calling? cawing?) out some birdsong this morning.

Here....sit quietly with me. We'll listen together. Do you hear that?

It's kinda pleasant really.

Out of all of the animals, fish, and creatures out there...birds fascinate me the most. I don't know if it's my fear of heights...but I like watching birds. I'll watch birds fly. I saw three Heron(s?) fly over my head yesterday morning as I was driving. I almost stopped the Jeep and got out to watch them. They were huge and so....ah....it's hard to explain.

I like birds.

On SNL the other night the question posed to Christopher Walken was "Would you rather have the power of invisibility or the ability to fly?"

I wondered about that. What would you choose? (He said both...btw.)

I've felt invisible before. I've felt as if no one sees me...or hears what I'm saying...and I don't think I'd choose that. It wasn't really that pleasant.

But flying?

Hm....flying could be cool. But flying kinda frightens me. Being so high off of the ground? Not sure about that...and yet...

and yet how freeing it must feel to be able to fly. You know, like a Heron...or a Grackle.

Sometimes I feel like just flying away from everything. When I want to get away from all the pressures of life. When I get weighted down with worry...and anxiety attaches itself to me...when my heart feels heavy.

It's then that I think...well, if I WERE a bird...there's no way I could get off the ground with all this gear! All this baggage I'm carrying with me! Think of the wingspan I'd need! Rocket fuel is probably a better option!!

And it's at those times that I'm reminded then that Someone cares for me even more than He cares for the birds...(and He does care about birds!)...so why worry? Why be anxious? Why keep all that stuff stuck inside?

Instead, my friends...do as I am doing. Give it to Him.

And you know what? When I do that...I feel as light as a feather...

1 comment:

heiniger said...

yep... and when we don't do that we feel just the opposite. It amazes me how quickly and how many times that can change in a day.