Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Use some sense...

I mentioned yesterday that my daughter is ill. In an attempt to ease her coughing, I went ahead and got out the VICKS. Vicks Vaporub. I'll bet there's something you didn't know about Vicks. Sure, it helps congestion. But did you know that it's also a Time Machine?






As I slowly unscrewed the lid off and brought the jar up to my nose, I thought for a moment, "No...I'm not going to do it!" And then I did. I inhaled deeply. And suddenly I found myself transported back in time to my grandma Sybil's home. Yep...there I was...sitting on her bed, listening to her tell me the racoon story for the umpteenth time...it's a hysterical story about my father's childhood...and a racoon that gets stuck in a trashcan while they're on vacation...and the hilarity that ensued was always good. I never got tired of that story. And I never got tired of my grandma...who used Vicks for everything...I swear.

It's funny though...isn't it...how powerful SMELL is with our memory. Actually, I guess all of our senses can trigger memories...but for me, I'd have to say that scent is the best time machine.

I had a boyfriend once who wore Old Spice. The breakup was bad. Very unfriendly. And I tell you, to this DAY...I cannot STAND the smell of Old Spice. I don't care WHO'S wearing it (and Sean, if you're reading...NEVER put on Old Spice...please, I BEG YOU!) Honestly...it's forbidden in our house.
Along those same lines, however...I had another boyfriend who would use Mennen Speed Stick Deodorant. And that breakup was not bad. We parted friends. And to this day, I swear the ugliest guy ever could slather himself in Mennen Speed Stick and I would be
smitten. All because of the memory I associate with the smell...

So my question to you today, is this: How are you smelling? Will someone associate your scent today with a fond memory....or one that stinks of Old Spice? I encourage you to try and use all of the senses (touch, sight, sound, smell, taste) to make a fond memory for someone. Reach out and touch them. Tell them you love them. Bake them cookies...take them flowers. I guarantee that you will make a memory with someone today. Just try not to let it smell like Old Spice...please!

1 comment:

Paxtonite said...

I am not Sean and I never wore Old Spice (did I?) and I'm not the guy who wore Mennen Speed Stick either. But, I do have a great memory. . . and I remember well the overpowering smell of White Shoulders cologne. Could it be that someone I know spilled a bottle on her bed?

Whenever I smell sweet corn I think of Mama Paula Collins and her rule about not letting her girls go out of town with a boy at times when the corn was tall in the fields. My parents had a rule that I couldn't take a girl onto the second floor of our house where the bedrooms were. I could take boys, though. Darn! I never did.