Thursday, January 31, 2008

Through New Eyes

My mom is having cataract surgery on Monday. Her eyesight is really bad right now. Blurry vision, unable to read things on her computer screen easily, scary driving....okay, she was actually a scary driver with GOOD vision...but that's another story...

Let's talk about me for a second though. I woke up this morning, got some coffee, got the kids off and running, turned on the tv in the bedroom to catch some news and looked hard at my bed. In a split second I decided that today would be a good day to just stay in bed. I mean, let's face it...I wasn't feeling that great in the first place (blame the daughter for that!)...so what would be the harm, right? In I go, leaping onto the mattress and kicking off a dog and pulling the covers over my head...I seriously consider the option. Allow myself a moment to visualize what that might look like....here, I'll move over. Join me, won't you?

Ah...toasty. Cozy. Close your eyes for a second. C'mon...we're in this together. You know you've had the same thought at some point. Blah day...blah meetings...blah, blah. Just stay in bed all day...

Now, remember...earlier I'd turned on the tv in my bedroom for the news. Which, (because it's the news) is pretty easy for me to tune out because it's mostly about Britney Spears or something even more lame...(if you can believe that). There's Britney. There's the weather. Then they break for a commercial. It's for Campbell Soup...."mm...mmm...mmm....possibilities".
Hm.

Hm. Hm.

Hm. Hm. Good.

You know what? I can't stay in the bed all day! WE can't stay in bed all day! There are possibilities for this day that we have been (so graciously!) given! While there is indeed, a time to rest yourself and there are those moments of 'sheer laziness' when you can (and should!) kick back and relax...there is also the consideration of the time that you have been given.

I'm in the process of de-cluttering my home. My living room mantle has been bare since I took the Christmas decorations down, because I want to put 'something different' on it...so I've been waiting for inspiration, I guess.

As I ease the blanket off my head, I can see the mantle from my bedroom. Do you see it? Maybe today is the day. Maybe today is the day that I finally put something on it. But what? Ah...the possibilities are endless...but my purse is empty. However, those decorating shows tell you that 'simply moving items from one room to another can make the whole room feel different'.

So...if I look at the items I own...maybe I'll be able to decorate that mantle.

You know what? I need to see through new eyes!

You know what? When I have an epiphany, I have a tendency to repeat myself.

Ah....you know what? So often we get tunnel vision. We can get stuck in a rut, doing the same stuff day...after day...after day. And at some point, in our discouragement, we may find ourselves wanting to just stay in bed.

BUT...if we take a second to consider the possibilities of that day...we just might be pleasantly surprised by how great our mantle looks!

I encourage you, my friend...to Seize the Day...and make a pleasant possibility become a wonderful reality. And hey, would you help me make this bed?! Thanks!

4 comments:

Jo said...

Carebo,
You should write a book or something!! You are without a doubt the most talented (and funniest) writer that I know! Your blogs get me through the day when the baby is cranky and driving me crazy ( a very short drive according to my teenager)! Love you lots!! Tell Mom that I am praying for her!
Jo

Unknown said...

Dang, girl. You are GOOD. These posts are so awesome & really thought-provoking. Im so enjoying checking in every day!

Paxtonite said...

Grrrl... you and I are on the same wavelength as always. I DID stay in bed today and hit the snooze on my Blackberry and then turned the alarm off altogether. But then, I woke up at 8:45 AM and realized that I needed to get my butt in to work. I did!

And, I spoke to Mama Collins this morning during my train ride. So great to hear her voice and just chat.

We got cut off, though, as the CTA train went into the subway tunnel.

Then, I had the craziest, busiest day.

I'm still here at work and it is after 9pm.

Gotta get home to watch episode 2 from season 1 of LOST.

Tara said...

oh my, your blog is so great to read every day...and yes, i've been reading it everyday!!!

i really was feeling the blog with the "overwhelming" topic....
yep...i'm overwhelmed...too much to do and not enough time....
but you made my day a bit better...

then today....
the "seeing things with new eyes" "seize the day" welp....
i just couldn't find my new eyes when i literally "stumbled" over my 10 loads of laundry that has gone untouched going on 10 days!!!...ugh, i closed my eyes and opened them...and still saw all the clothes..... but i'm trying to see it in a new, positive way...at least we have clothes right!!???

Thanks for the food for thought!!!

now...off to bed...
that laundry can wait another day... i wonder how long i can go??