Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sudden Impact and Super Powers

I got an email from a college friend today. In it he mentioned our theatre professor, Dr. Golden. I hadn't thought of Dr. G for years...but as soon as I saw his name I was transported back in time and heard him say clearly, "Qvestions?"

Not "questions?"...like normal folk would say...but "Kvest-shuns?"...with like, a German accent. The first time I heard it was Freshman Year...and he always said it like that...as he sipped his Diet Pepsi.


Dr. G was an important person for me to listen to at that time of my life. He had a lot of information to share. So I paid attention. And his words shaped who I am now...

The other day I mentioned how people pleasing is a problem of mine. And while we should not give a lot of power TO people...they do have influence in our lives, whether we like it or not.

And we have influence in other's lives. Whether we realize it or not.

Got me thinking...about the others that have impacted my life with just a few words. Some were encouraging...

like my second grade teacher, Miss Knapp.

Some...like my high school algebra teacher, Mrs. Frisbie...were NOT encouraging.

Both voices, however, are still as clear as crystal in my mind. Both shaped my thinking...

Makes me wonder.

Makes me wonder how many folks are listening to my words in their mind...(perhaps going back several years even!)...and how they are still able to hear me...loud and clear.

It's sobering.

It's humbling.

It's...um...quite frankly....terrifying.

This past Sunday a good friend asked me which super power I'd like to have. And I said I'd like to be able to breathe underwater.

Mostly because I like being in the water...

and partly because I sorta kinda have this secret crush on Aquaman.


But as I consider that question now, I think it's safe to say that we all have a super power. The power of our words.

We can use them for good.

Or for evil.

Think about that.

We are not perfect people. We say stupid things. Sometimes we speak without thinking. Sometimes we speak without thinking about the consequences of sharing our secret Aquaman crush with our friends...

hm...

Your words have impact. They have power. Use them wisely, friends.

Now...are there any....qvestions?

No comments: