Wednesday, June 18, 2008

With One Condition...

"Dad loves the dog more than he loves me!"

My son stomped into my bedroom and repeated himself. "Dad cares about Speedy more than his own kids!"

"Oh he does not." I reply.

"Well sometimes it feels that way." he stomped out again.

I sat there and thought about that for a moment. What was my husband doing with the dog that he wasn't doing with his son?

I looked at it another way. What was the dog doing that my son was NOT doing?

Our dog is a well-behaved dog. Really. In fact, he has one fault. He'll run for the hills if you open the door...and he will keep running. You have to go get him.

Other than that, we've had no problem with this pup. He's a good dog. Easy to take care of...cuddly...doesn't talk back when you ask him to do something. Doesn't make you repeat yourself fourteen gamillion times to pick up his room. Doesn't make that FACE at you when you ask him to stop playing video games and take out the trash.

Come to think of it, the dog's got another fault. He's kickin' my behind when we play Guitar Hero.

No...seriously.

Ah...you know I'm kidding. As you can see, when I compare the dogs behavior to that of my son's, I think that most of us would say, "Yep. I'd rather spend time with the dog."

My son is not 'easy' to love right now.

Perhaps that's the problem. Ease.

We like things to be easy, don't we? I mean, yes....a challenging 200,000 piece jigsaw is a fun way to spend a Wednesday night, but we generally want smooth sailing. We don't want to have to work really hard at something.

Especially if we think it SHOULD be easy.

You know what I mean?

Many is the time I've been totally frustrated by a project that I thought SHOULD be easy. Programming a VCR...making Jello...knitting a scarf. They've frustrated me and forced me to seek solace with the dog.

Especially making Jello. Who knew that it was so difficult?

Oh...maybe it's not difficult for you. Think of your difficult project.

Now think of a difficult person.

Now think about loving them.

Unconditionally.

Regardless of how much they frustrate you with their behavior. Regardless of how EASY you think it SHOULD be.

Now's the really hard part.

Do it.

Love them.

Because you know what? You, my friend, are not always EASY to love either. As hard as that may be for you to believe...sometimes the dog looks pretty good.

But...BUT...BUT BUT BUT...

You are loved. Deeply. Truly. Madly.

Despite your difficult-ness. Despite your un-lovable-ness.

Can you believe it? Do you believe it?

For God so loved the world...

2 comments:

DMc said...

I can't count the number of times over the last several years that I've thought "It should be easier than this!", in regard to relationships (me to my children, me to my wife, me to my parents, me to my friends, me to my co-workers, me to fellow church-goers and people who share the same ministry . . . I could probably keep going, but I won't).

I think you hit on the key for everyone to focus on here: if we remember how much we are loved by God, that should make it at least a little easier for us to love those who cause us to struggle in our love for them.

DMc

Tara said...

hmmmm..always making me think aren't you.. funny though, jacob and i would get along great this week, because i had a break down the other night (possibly hormones) but i was going off on poor joe about him loving his stupid cat weasel more than me.. heheheheeeee..... maybe it's because weasel doesn't whine like i do lately! ha!!! hope you are having a great week!!!