Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Never Judge a Bread by it's Banana!

Last night Jacob and I are putting away groceries. As I'm handing him items for the freezer, I hear this:

"Why do we have those in there, Mom? They're gross looking!"

Before I look I think, what's grossing him out? The chopped spinach? The garlic cod? The burritos that have been there since 1995?

Closing my eyes and turning, (I get so few surprises these days you know!) I take a deep breath and look.

They're shriveled up, brown...bananas.

"Oh!" I say, "I'm saving those for banana bread."

"I ain't eatin' it!" says my son vehemently...and leaves the room.

Yeah, I think...Hannah and I will make banana bread tomorrow.

So we did that this morning, she and I.

And I got to thinking...as I was mashing them up...that Jacob was right. They were gross looking at the moment...yuck!

But after adding some other ingredients...and heat...the finished product was delicious...



and Jacob ate four pieces.

Go figure.

And as I type this, I'm thinking...that's how it can be with us. With our lives.

We all go through tough times. Hard times. Difficult times. Tragedies happen to us...and we can become brown, shriveled bananas.

And just when we think that's the worst it can get...we find ourselves mashed...and thrown into a fire....for about 60 minutes at 325 degrees...as a matter of fact.

But here's the thing: Sometimes we are so caught up in our shriveledness...our mashed life...our heat...that we forget that those are the very things we need to make us into beautiful banana bread. Warm...comforting...perfect with some coffee and a little butter...

You, my friend...are being made into someone special BECAUSE of the things that happen to you. Don't forget that.

And don't forget this. Bananas come in bunches. You're not alone. Chances are there is another banana that has been in similar shoes. Reach out to them...

(oh...and for the record...my banana bread is a little nutty...just like me!) :)

now...who wants another piece?

No comments: