Monday, October 18, 2010

Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble

Yesterday I had lunch with my Mom in Champaign. We went to a 'new place' to eat, so I was looking around at the restaurant, taking in the setting.

The hostess, after seating us, went to 'work' stringing up this HUGE fake spiderweb Halloween decoration across the booths facing the entrance. She was diligently pulling on the cottony stuff as we ate. When we were almost finished, my Mom looks for a moment at the huge spider web and the gal on the ladder and Mom then looks at me and says very matter-of-factly, "She's been working really hard on that piece of crap."

I cracked up at that comment. Laughed out loud for like, 37 minutes. The waitress came over and asked if I was okay. And, for a moment, I considered going to California and plugging my own show-"BLEEP my Mom Says!".

When I finally calmed down, I agreed with her. Because you see, my family is not 'big' into Halloween decorating. We just haven't ever really gotten into it like some folks do. So I totally understood what Mom meant. It was a lot of time spent on something very 'unimportant' and 'unnecessary' in the 'grand scheme of things' (at least in Mom's eyes).

That statement got me to thinking though...about how we all have opportunities to 'work really hard on pieces of crap'. Now, granted...my piece is going to look different from yours...but I am humbled by the thought of how we use our time. About the thoughts that occupy my head...how important is it for me to nurse that grudge I've got? How much have I failed to grasp because my hands were too busy holding onto bitterness?

I realize that much like the hostess picking and pulling at that batting, I can pick and pull at the people in my life. I can stand up on my own ladder and look down at folks. I can...easily...work very hard on a piece of crap.

My friends, there's nothing wrong with Halloween decorating. There is, however, a finite amount of time in each of our lives. What can you do today to benefit those around you?

No comments: