Thursday, March 19, 2009

Simply Put...

It's a day until the official start of Spring here.

Do you want to know how I know that?

No...it's not the arrival of robins. Or the daffodils blooming.

It's not the grass getting greener or the temperature rising.

I can tell that Spring is almost here because everywhere I look...I see...

farmers.

Yep. It's true! They're everywhere!

Getting their fields ready for planting.

In fact, I had to pull over the other day so that a tractor that's got more square feet than my house could get across a bridge. The farmer waved at me as he passed. I waved back.
It took 30 seconds out of my day to do that. To pull over and let him go first.

Not a big deal.

Or is it?

So often in our busy days we get caught up in our stuff and can easily negate the 30 second rule.

What's the 30 second rule, you ask?

Something I just made up, actually. Thanks for asking! And it doesn't have anything to do with eating dropped m and m's...

My friends, take a moment (we'll call it...oh, I don't know....30 seconds!) to time out 30 seconds.

It's okay. I'll wait. I've got time.

(whistles the "Jeopardy" tune to herself)

Did you see how LONG 30 seconds really is? It's a nice bit of time.

Now think about how often you may say during the course of your day "I don't have time for that!"

The truth is: we all have been given the same amount of time in our day. And more truth is: we usually waste a lot of it on what we consider to be 'important' things. Like criticism. Or complaining. Or justifying. Or ranting.

But enough about me....let's talk about you!!

Do something nice for someone today that takes just 30 seconds. Send a nice email message...or give someone a hug. Let that farmer get around you with that big disk thing...

You'll feel better. And so will someone else!

And the best thing is: you'll never miss that 30 seconds of complaint!

No comments: