Thursday, October 2, 2008

Is this a kissing book?

One of my most favorite movies of all time is The Princess Bride. And one of my favorite scenes in the movie is this one:

Grandpa: [voiceover] Nothing gave Buttercup as much pleasure as ordering Wesley around.

Buttercup: Farm boy, polish my horse's saddle. I want to see my face shining in it by morning.

Wesley: As you wish.

Grandpa: [voiceover] "As you wish" was all he ever said to her.

Buttercup: Farm boy, fill these with water - please.

Wesley: As you wish.

Buttercup: Farm boy... fetch me that pitcher.
[It's right over her head, so he has to stand next to her]

Wesley: As you wish.
[Cut to them kissing]


The Grandson: [interrupting] Hold it, hold it. What is this? Are you trying to trick me? Where's the sports? [suspiciously] Is this a kissing book?

I saw this movie for the first time on a date. I was with a guy that I thought was amazing. Just an incredible guy. I was smitten. Seriously. I would've done just about anything for him.

Who was this guy? Um...well, it's been a long time ago...and I think his last name starts with a....um...R? Maybe?

Does it matter?

Well, C., you just said that you really thought a lot about this guy and would do anything for him...but you can't even remember his name now? That's kinda lame. What kind of relationship was that?

I was young.

I uh...I thought I loved him...but maybe I didn't really understand what love is.

And, my friends...I'm STILL not sure I understand love. Sigh. But there are some things about love that I DO understand now.

I think The Princess Bride gives us a great visual of love.

When you love someone very much...you put their needs before your own. You want the best for them...you're not thinking of yourself necessarily. You want to please them.

Such was the case with Wesley, the farm boy. He did what Buttercup asked of him, not to win her approval of him...but simply because he loved her.

And the more she piled on...the more he obeyed her. Without complaint. Because all he wanted was to be with her.

Do you have that kind of relationship with someone?

Seriously?

I mean, c'mon...it's the movies, for cryin' out loud....that doesn't happen in real life!

Does it?

Now I'd like you to consider your relationship with God. When He speaks to you...is your response to God, "As you wish?"

When we love someone...we want their happiness. We want them to know that we care about them. So we serve them. Take care of their requests...as they wish.

Is that what you say to God?

It's a good question.

I think that when we love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength...we desire to obey Him...to do the things He asks of us...it should be our response.

However...I also think that we can "do" a bunch of stuff for God and never say, "As you wish." to Him. Not once.

These 'chores' just become things we check off of a list. Rules that we follow to try and get into heaven...or at least, find heavenly acceptance.

That doesn't sound like intimacy. That doesn't sound like closeness.

It's like...well, what if Wesley just did the chores around the farm, but didn't speak to Buttercup at all? The movie wouldn't be nearly as interesting...
he and Buttercup would never have had that 'connection'...that kiss. Sure, things would've gotten done...but Wesley and Buttercup would've missed out on a really good time together.

Hm.

Consider this:

God loves you very much. But not because of the things that you do! He made a huge sacrifice of Himself so that he could have a relationship with you. He wants that more than anything.

My friends, I encourage you to look God in the eye and say, "As You Wish."

Just once.

1 comment:

heiniger said...

Fabulous!!! Really... : )